Category Archives: Minutes of Meetings

Friends of Lakenheath Library Meeting, 02/05/17

Date: 2nd of May 2017

Time: 6.30 p.m.

Location: Lakenheath Library

 

Present: Mary Dimond, Chris Howard, Marilyn Shone, Jean Reynolds.

 

(1) Apologies for Absence

Iain Frost

(2) Minutes from the previous Meeting

The minutes from March’s meeting have been agreed and signed

(3) Harry Potter Party

The party went very well with 26 people attending the event and 64 people using the library that day. Thank you must also go to Tracey Sismey for her help and assistance and Laura Mackie for the excellent cakes.

(4) Finance

The Bank balance remains at £3583.53.

(5) Suffolk Libraries Updates

The closing date for the Suffolk Libraries survey is 8 May 2017. Update reminders to go on the Blog, Facebook and Lakenheath Community site.

The next community forum is Monday, 22 May at Ixworth Library. MS to confirm whether she can attend.

The new self-service machine is to be installed on 6th June 2017.

A mental health event is being held on Wednesday, 7 June 2017 from 2-4 p.m.

The AGM will be held on 23 May to start at 7.00 p.m. It was decided to have the meeting at the library. JR to arrange a display. MD and MS to organise their reports.

(6) Library Refurbishment

Points were made on the submitted plans and CH to discuss them with the Demco representative.

All are to reflect on the issues to be considered concerning quotes for work to be carried out to ensure a finite list.

(7) Summer Reading Challenge

This Summer the reading challenge theme is to be Animal Agents. More details will be received, possibly late June.

To consider options for a new FOLK banner. Further discussion to be deferred until the next meeting.

(8) Dates(s) of Next Meeting(s)

AGM, Tuesday, 23 May 2017 at 7.00 p.m at Lakenheath Library.

Friends of Lakenheath Library Meeting, 7th of March, 2017

Date:  7th of March 2017
Time:  6.30 pm

Location:  Lakenheath Library

Present:  Mary Dimond, Chris Howard, Marilyn Shone, Iain Frost, Jean Reynolds

 

(1)  Apologies for Absence

Jack Norman
(2)  Minutes of from the previous Meeting

Agreed and signed.

(3)  Library Inspection

Went well and no issues were raised.   A reminder was given regarding the coming May elections and any interaction with Councillors.   A recent
e-mail from Daniel Harvey included a copy of the information sheet amongst other information.

(4) Finance

Expenditure:  £24.15 for iPad cases / £79.95 for the water heater.
Income:  £167.83 (not previously included in minutes) and £86.00.
Bank balance currently £3,583.53

(5) Library Budget Reduction

The budget reductions were agreed – £200,000. The server cabinet has now been removed.  With grateful thanks to Jack Norman and Steph Andrews for undertaking this onerous task.

(6) Library Refurbishment

Demco Interiors have been approached for design and costings.  A representative came to the library on 2 March and the proposals should be with us sometime next week.

(7) Harry Potter Party

Discussed and the next meeting will be devoted to finalising the details.

(8) Book Sale

A two-day sale (Friday/Saturday 30 March/1 April).  Post-meeting it was decided not to arrange for the gazebo.   Promotion of the event to be on the blog and Facebook, as well as posters.

(9) Dates(s) of Next Meeting(s)

21 March 2017 at 6.30 pm (amended from 14th)

Friends of Lakenheath Library Meeting, 06/12/16

Date: 6th December 2016
Time: 7 pm

Location: Lakenheath Library

Present: Mary Dimond, Chris Howard, Iain Frost, Jean Reynolds.

 

(1) Apologies for Absence

Marilyn Shone

 

(2) Minutes from a previous Meeting

They have been agreed and signed.

(3) Bookfest 2016

The two evenings held at Brandon Library had some very good feedback and can be viewed as a success.  It is hoped that this will lead to further events.

(4) Treasurer’s Report

No treasurer’s report.  The Bank balance remains at £3311.61. An initial list of potential sources of funding has been identified.

(5) Trustee Information

This has been updated.

(6) Suffolk Libraries Budget

Budget reduction proposals to the Scrutiny Committee on 15 December and to the Full Council in February.  More details on the Suffolk Libraries computer site and includes a letter written by Tony Brown, Chair of Suffolk Libraries Board. Changes to the IT system actioned and has had some teething problems. iPads have been received.  An introductory training event to be arranged.  Hughes to be attending;  Proposed advertising considered;  Invitations to be extended. Date to be confirmed.  Jean suggested that the local scout group be used to deliver flyers.   Check with Parish Council on numbers.

(7) Library Refurbishment

Action for proposed updating of the library was discussed.  Jean to approach F. Glover for designs and coatings.   (Plans should be with us in January).

(8) Any other Business

It was agreed to take advantage of the Bank Holiday to clear back room.  (This was cancelled). December window display arranged for 13 December. iPad idea for January window display suggested. The issue of the Celtic Cross was discussed.  To await an update.

(9) Date of Next Meeting

6th January 2017 (rearranged to 13th January 2017)

Friends of Lakenheath Library Meeting, 07/10/16

Date: 7th October 2016

Time: 7 pm
Location: Lakenheath Library

Present: Mary Dimond, Chris Howard, Marilyn Shone

 

(1) Matters Arising

Confirmed that FOLK will attend the Brandon Quiz Night on Thursday,
13th of October 2016.

(2) Treasurer’s Report

Bank balance at the end of September stands at £3311.61.
Income: £495.00 Expenditure: £42.48

(3) iPads

They should be available by early November. An introductory event to be
arranged with Helen Hayes. Invitations to be extended.

(4) Bookfest 2016 (A combined effort with Brandon Library)

To promote the event as widely as possible. Waiting for specific tasks
required of LK Friends.

(5) Any other Business

Work to be carried out on 25 October, re: ‘IT migration’.

It was agreed that it would be beneficial for Demco/Eclipse (Library planners)
to be approached for designs and costings.

(6) Dates(s) of Next Meeting(s)

Tuesday, 1 November 2016 at 7.00 p.m.
Tuesday, 29 November 2016 at 7.00 p.m.

Friends of Lakenheath Library Meeting, 16/04/13

Location, Date & Time: Lakenheath Library, 16th April 2013 at 7pm

Attendees: Chris Howard, Bill Rockett, Madelaine Rockett, Anne Cross, Mary Dimond, Iain Frost and Sheila Smith.

Apologies for Absence: Marilyn Shone.

1) Outstanding Actions

Sheila Smith reported that due to the number of discussion points on the meeting agenda, addressing outstanding actions would not be possible at this meeting. The actions are as follows:

30th Jan 12 – Chris Howard will identify the number of library card holders on the date of the transfer to IPS and this would be used as a baseline figure.

30th Jan 12 – All attendees to draft a mission statement and objectives for discussion and agreement at the next meeting.

2nd Oct 12 – Members to consider photograph and paragraphto be placed on the blog

12th Mar 13 – Chris Howard to identify current library building ownership and leasehold information from Suffolk IPS.

12th Mar 13 – All members to propose fund raising ideas to offset against the deficit outstanding, £525.

2) Treasurer’s Report

Sheila Smith presented the report provided by the Treasurer:

Available funds: £101.00

25th of March 2013/ Pay Out / £12 / Balance = £101

11th of March 2013 / Deposit In £27 / Balance = £137

5th of March 2013 / Cheque Pay Out £46 / Balance = £86

22nd of Feb 2013 / Pay Out £61.90 / Balance = £132.19

19th of Feb 2013 / Pay Out £110.91 / Balance = £194.09

7th of Jan 2013 / Deposit In £305 / Balance = £305

The Treasurer also reported “I haven’t had a reply from James Hargrave as yet and have emailed him directly to his blog site. No other information to report on.”

James Hargrave is the new IT manager for the Suffolk Libraries and he was asked for guidance regarding laptop equipment and Wi-Fi.

Sheila Smith provided an update on the Locality Budget Visit Lakenheath website payment. Despite confirming that the Friends of Lakenheath Library bank account could be used to provide payment to Mr Steve Warren for the village website by the required date, the payment was delayed by purdah.

Following Sheila Smith’s statement at the meeting held on the 12th March regarding the potential for additional funding for Wi-Fi from the County Council Locality Budget, Anne Cross reported that there were strict rules as to how much money can be given to a charity in each Fiscal Year.

3) Potential Fund Raising:

Ideas include increase community awareness of the funding required and seek contributions/sponsorship from the public and or local businesses.

Chris Howard reported that he had not heard from Steve Warren for some time regarding the potential use of one of the library windows for local business advertising.

Chris Howard to contact Steve Warren and confirm if this opportunity was still available.

The benefit of contacting the RAF Commander at Lakenheath was discussed.

It was agreed that Sheila Smith would draft a letter high lighting the plight of the library and asking if there were any potential funding streams available from the US Forces.

It was reported that quizzes attracted considerable interest but it was thought that there were a number of other organisations in the village that held regular quizzes including The Tap and the village hall.

Anne Cross reported that the meeting with Jane Tutchenor (local artist) had been interesting. It was agreed that Jane should be asked to hold a show/sell session with a raffle at the library and to be offered a share of the library tent at the fete.

4) IPS/Library Updates

Small Charity Constitution. Chris Howard reported that the IPS Community Liaison Officer, Jack Hill be happy to attend the next meeting to discuss concerns regarding the responsibility of the constitution trustees. Chris Howard to confirm when Jack Hill’s availability in June.

The potential for the library to set up as a charity in its own right was discussed. Sheila Smith stated that whilst she understood that to do so may attract more sources of funding, she was against the idea. The reasons given were:

the group must set up a system that will survive the current members

to run a charity is a substantial time investment that she was unable to support

the responsibility could dissuade potential new committee members.

Anne Cross responded that a charity can quite easily be closed down but acknowledged that to do so would mean some library services being stopped.

5) Publicity/Library Events

Questions for the Village History Hunt were proposed and Anne Cross requested that Madeleine Rockett/Bill Rockett put together the advertisement for the event for the Lakenheath Times. It was agreed that the questions would not be published in the Lakenheath Times but that Madeleine Rockett/Bill Rockett would put together an article to publicise the event, detailing the entry requirements and cost. Madeleine Rockett/Bill Rockett would also select the questions and identify a suitable prize

Post Meeting Notes: The paragraph has been compiled and sent to the editor of the Lakenheath Times.

The questions have been collated and disseminated to all committee members. Copies of the question sheet will be provided in anticipation of the article.

Bill Rockett has procured the services of a local photographer who will take a portrait picture of the winner(s) or their designated representative(s).

Sheila Smith has contacted one of the organisers of the Village Carnival/Fete and requested that the winner be announced at the fete.

6) Any Other Business

Anne Cross stated that as she was very busy throughout May she would prefer to delay the next meeting until June.

7) Date of Next Meeting

The date and time of the next meeting will be established when Chris Howard confirms

Post Meeting Note: The next meeting will be held on Tuesday, 4th June 2013 at 7pm in the library.

Minutes were taken by Sheila Smith on 16th April 2013

Friends of Lakenheath Library Meeting, 26/11/12

Location, Date & Time: Lakenheath Library, 26th November 2012 at 7pm
Attendees: Chris Howard, Bill Rockett,Madeleine Rockett, Anne Cross, Alison Donald (Business Development Team, Suffolk County Council) , Parish Cllr Iain Frost and Sheila Smith.
Apologies for Absence: District and County Cllr Colin Noble

1) Welcoming a new member 

The chair welcomed Mary to the group and thanked all for attending. The meeting was opened with apologies given as above.

2) Minutes from a previous Meeting 

The last meeting minutes were agreed. All actions are captured on the Action Register.

3) Treasurer’s Report

Unfortunately, the Treasurer was not in attendance and therefore a full update was not provided. However, Alison Donald reported that Cllr Colin Noble had asked for his apologies to be expressed that the £300 agreed to cover expenses incurred from the Fun Day, Halloween and Christmas events had not yet been transferred.

Parish Cllr Iain Frost to contact Cllr Noble regarding the missing payment.

4) Industrial and Provident Society/ Suffolk Libraries Updates

Chris Howard reported that the response from the Area Manager to the request to use one of the library windows for advertising had been favourable but they would like to see a mock-up of possible promotion before giving their approval. It should also be noted that the proposed advert will have to be reviewed and cleared by the IPS management prior to its implementation.

Alison Donald provided the historical binders capturing the work taken towards the development of the library group and the meetings and achievements of the F.O.L.K group to date for storage at the library. It is important that all major documentation is printed out and filed correctly.

Chris Howard reported that he was exploring the possibility of a link to the F.O.L.K blog being placed on the Suffolk Libraries website. 

Post meeting note: Chris Howard has confirmed that accessing Lakenheath Library’s blog is now possible from the Suffolk Libraries website.

Similar library support groups have now been set up in Brandon and Mildenhall although they were at a very early stage. Chris Howard requested that a F.O.L.K representative attend a meeting of the support group at Brandon on the 11th December 2012 at 2pm to provide a summary of the F.O.L.K history.

As this would require taking leave from work, Sheila Smith reported that she would need to check before committing to attending this meeting.

Chris Howard reported that he had been informed that there was an upcoming Ipswich Community Group meeting planned for self-help groups such as the F.O.L.K.

Post meeting note: The date of the meeting was not passed to Chris Howard in time for someone to attend.

Chris Howard reported that the details of the amount of savings to be made by libraries had been distributed. As an F category library, Lakenheath will be expected to raise £975 within the next 18 months. The group noted that although this seems a small amount, it was important the fund raising efforts continued to both raise money and to promote the library. Additionally, this may not be the same figure to be raised in future years

A discussion was held on potential fund-raising and it was agreed that the Parish Council should be approached for a donation of £150 from the allotted charity fund held by the Council.

Sheila Smith agreed to draft the letter to the council.

Post meeting note: The letter was compiled and acting on information provided by another parish councillor the amount was increased to £450. It was reported that the Parish Council has precept this sum under Section 137 in anticipation of the library making a formal application in March 2013. The Chair is awaiting a letter from the Parish Council detailing how the formal application is to be constructed.    

5) Lakenheath Library Events




3a) Halloween

It was agreed by all that the Halloween event had been a big success and everyone who assisted were thanked for their participation.

It did highlight the need for further support to the library staff by the Friends at such events in the future.

3b) Christmas

Bill Rockett suggested holding a Christmas Party or carol singing and providing hot jacket potatoes, hot dogs and/or mulled wine. Madeleine Rockett had conducted some price comparisons and reported the expected costs of such a venture. However, Anne Cross stated that events such as this are already held at the Peace Memorial Hall. Whilst the idea of providing hot food was good, there are Food Hygiene requirements that would need to be complied with.

It was agreed that the next library event should be held on the 6th of January, Twelfth Night/Three Kings and would consist of a treasure hunt for the young and refreshments and snacks for all age groups. The event was to be marketed as a final day of fun before the children to return to school, as a New Year’s Resolution to visit the library more and as a break for the parents.

Sheila Smith agreed to write the article for the Lakenheath Times.
6) Any Other Business

None.

7) Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held in the Library on Tuesday the 18th December 2012 at 7pm and will be to finalise the plans for the Twelfth Night/Three Kings event.
———-

Minutes taken by Sheila Smith, Chair and Secretary of F.O.L.K, edited and uploaded by Parish Cllr Iain Frost

Friends of Lakenheath Library, 02/10/12

Location, Date & Time: Lakenheath Library, 2nd October 2012 at 7pm

Attendees: Chris Howard (CH), Bill Rockett (BR), Madeleine Rockett (MR), Marilyn Shone (MS) and Sheila Smith (SS).

Apologies for Absence: Ann Cross, County Cllr Colin Noble, Parish Cllr Iain Frost and Alison Donald.

1) Minutes from a previous Meeting

The last meeting minutes were agreed. All actions are captured on the Action Register.

2) Treasurer’s Report

The Treasurer reported that FOLK now have a bank account with Lloyds TSB and is waiting for the cheque book and paying in book from Lloyds TSB. We are now waiting for a cheque from Cllr C. Noble’s locality budget.

Cllr Noble was advised that in August the Friends spent a total of £104.90 to attend the Lakenheath Village Fair, comprising £54.90 for the purchase of the marquee and £50 for the FOLK banner and that as these sums were paid for by members of FOLK, they have to be reimbursed. Cllr Noble advised that he could not draw a cheque for a small amount as this so asked for a budget for other events this year. He was informed that the Friends intended to organise two events at the Library this year; one for Halloween and one for Christmas each with a budget of £100.

He was therefore asked for a cheque for the sum of £305 to take the F.O.L.K funding through to the end of 2012.

3) Funding

It was agreed that in order to identify how savings could be made or how much money the group was expected to raise, it first required a clear understanding of how much it costs for the library to function.

Contact the IPS to request the figure that the library is expected to save/fund in the next year.

Marilyn Shone reported that there were many funding streams available but to access them key information and requirements must be in place.

Bill Rockett stated his belief that as the library is a key parish resource, the parish council is responsible for providing some financial support.

4) IPS & Library Updates

The Summer Reading Challenge presentation was conducted on the 14th September 2012.

Chris Howard reported that the IPS Regional Manager had confirmed that the agreement of parents to have their children photographed at the event should be held in the library.
Steve Warren is designing a ‘Visit Lakenheath’ website and has offered to provide a page to the library (see the link on the Visit Mildenhall site).
5) Library Events

It was suggested that each F.O.L.K member have individual photographs taken and along with this a brief sentence of the introduction to be placed on the Blog.

Members to consider the suggestion and decide at the next meeting.

Halloween. It was agreed that two events would be held on Tuesday, 30th October.

3pm – 5pm (up to 7 years old) spooky stories, puppets, arts, crafts and face painting
5pm – 7pm (7 and older) arts and crafts
All events would be accompanied by ‘spooky’ music.

Marilyn Shone reported that she would be happy to dress up as a witch and read stories to the young and purchase (to be reimbursed) decorations, balloons & sweets. She also offered to provide two pumpkins.

Madeleine Rockett offered to make a witches hat for Marilyn Shone to wear, to provide two carved pumpkins and carve the pumpkins provided by Marilyn Shone. Unfortunely, due to a long standing commitment, Madeleine Rockett would not be able to assist on the day.

Post meeting note: Parish Cllr Iain Frost later offered to provide two carved pumpkins and to assist in decorating the library as well as helping with those who attend

Sheila Smith offered to purchase a variety of arts and craft items and to assist on the day.

Chris Howard reported that he would contact the publisher of Chris Prestley books to see if he would be available to come to the library to conduct a reading/meet the author session.

Post meeting note: The response received was that the suggested age range may be too young, that the upcoming book which would have been ideal for Halloween is to be released as an e-book only and that authors can charge up to £300 for a 45 minute – 1 hour session. This was deemed to be too expensive.

Chris Howard to contact the area manager to ensure that the Halloween plans are allowed to go ahead.

Post meeting note: Chris Howard confirmed that the IPS Area Manager had no objections to FOLK’s Halloween plans.

Although Ann Cross could not attend the meeting she did provide an update to Chris Howard.

It is important to recognise that there is a wide demographic of library users and whilst attending events that are attended by older residents, Ann asked some if they had access to the internet and if not would they be interested in computer classes at the library. The response was that none had access to the internet at home and neither were they interested in learning or using the internet.

The meeting attendees acknowledged that there has been emphasis on accessing the library services via the internet or using the internet at the library. It was suggested that the committee contact other groups in person and also ensure that there are printed copies of updates available.

It was agreed that in order to determine what the library needs to provide to ensure its future within the village, it should:

Identify the current usage figures and for what service provided.
Identify what the residents want from the library by writing/visiting other village group events to promote the library and the F.O.L.K. Gain suggestions for improvements from current library users.
Develop ideas on how to get more people using the library.
Chris Howard reported that the plan to train all library managers on how to teach others to use computers was stopped when the library came under threat of closure. He is unaware of any plans to reinstate this training.

Shiela Smith to research how conversational sessions for those learning other languages could be provided.

6) Any Other Business

Bill Rockett suggested that as well as providing computer training other educational assistance could be provided.

7) Date of Next Meeting

The next meeting will be held in the Library on Monday the 23rd October 2012 at 7pm.

———-

Miwere taken taken by Sheila Smith, Chair and Secretary of F.O.L.K, edited and uploaded by Parish Cllr Iain Frost